Research has shown that nearly 90% of adults around the world consume beverages that contain caffeine on a daily basis, while there are almost 62% of Americans who enjoy some kind of coffee drink every day. Are you one of them? If you are truly a coffee addict, you must have wondered how to make perfect cold brew coffee?
Cold brew coffee is becoming more popular than iced and hot coffee. It’s made from steeping cold water and coffee beans for 12 to 24 hours. This means low acidity, and pure natural taste of the coffee beans, while iced coffee is made from adding ice cubes to hot brewed coffee. This also means “easy for the stomach”.
Even if you are an amateur in making coffee, we are going to give you a small guide on how to make cold brew coffee like a pro!
Looking for amazing lifestyle boxes to subscribe to? Check our latest subscription box offer with best gadgets for coffee fans!
Are iced coffee and cold brew coffee the same?
Many people think that iced coffee and cold brew coffee are the same. They are not. Iced coffee is just a regular coffee that is served over ice, or mixed with milk, or even left plain. While cold brew coffee is made from coffee beans that have been steeped in cold water for 12 to 24 hours. Besides, cold brew acidity is about half the acidity of traditional or iced coffee, which means better taste and easier on the stomach. If your wife/husband is already a fan of cold brew coffee, Oxo cold brew coffee maker can be the best anniversary gift to choose.
Cold brew coffee benefits
Did you know that cold brew coffee has some benefits over regular hot coffee? Let’s see some of them.
- Cold brew coffee has 67% less acid than hot coffee because when you’re making hot coffee, coffee grounds are brewed with hot water, and oils full of an acidic compound are released.
- Cold brew coffee is stronger due to the long steeping process.
- Drinking a cup of cold brew or nitro following a workout, increase the after-burn effect and help you to lose weight.
- It’s great for drinkers with a sensitive stomach. Because heat is not used in the process of making cold brew coffee, the coffee is less acidic. So people who suffer from acid reflux tolerate cold brew coffee better than hot.
- Cold brew coffee is the best beverage for anti-aging effects! Antioxidants in coffee protect your skin from harmful chemicals in the air and from the damaging UV rays.
- It’s better for dieters. Cold brew coffee can be served without sugar, milk or cream. And it doesn’t taste bitter. Less additives – less calories.
- Cold brew coffee extends concentration. The amount of caffeine increases the flow of blood to your brain and boosts cognitive function. According to the Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, bioactive compounds in coffee can reduce cognitive deficits and improve motor function.
- No more burnt tongue!
- Great beverage for hot summer days!
How to make the best cold brew coffee?
Before you start making cold brew coffee, choose your favorite beans. Then pick the perfect steeping time. You should do it at least overnight for 12 hours up to 24 hours for better taste. For example, Starbucks steeps cold brew beans for 20 hours. Just don’t use cheap beans, they will not taste as you expect. If you like fruity flavor choose African beans. For strong taste pick any bean from central or South America.
When you finish steeping beans, you have to strain the coffee grounds out of the water. You can use thin paper coffee filters, and make sure it’s really thin unless you want to filter coffee forever. You can buy small, thin, cotton cloth to filter it. And it’s easy to wash and reusable. Then simply place the coffee filter into a small fine-mesh sieve, or drape a cotton cloth over the sieve. You can place it over a cup and pour the concentrate through it. And if you’re wondering, yes, you can steep cold brew at room temperature. Besides, the better quality your water the better quality your cold brew coffee will be.
The first and a general rule when it comes to making cold brew coffee is you should use a cold brew coffee ratio of 1:4 (ratio of coffee to water). And if you’re using a scale you just add 5 times as much water as coffee. If you have cold brew coffee maker everything will be much easier for you.
And the last thing, you need to choose the perfect container for your cold brew coffee. You can pick any water vessel, mason jars, glass pitchers or professional container.
And once you taste perfect cold brew coffee, it's very hard to go back for ordinary iced coffee.
Oxo cold brew coffee maker – unique product coming with a subscription boxIf you are a coffee addict, our summer subscription box will blow your mind! Oxo cold brew coffee maker will improve your mood every morning before you go to work bringing high quality, strong, sweet and delicious coffee taste. It’s so simple to use, anyone can make its perfect cup of cold brew coffee. Paper filters aid the metal strainer to add an extra level of filtration, which means pure and consistently strong taste. It’s slightly pricey, but for cold-brew fans willing to spend more cash for extra convenience this is a perfect gift! And if the product itself is too expensive for you, you can find it in our new subscription box Summer Edition with an amazing offer!